Apart from looking to furnish our homes, we are all looking for ways to make the time we spend in them more special and harmonious and to make us happier at home. It’s all about the rituals…
So what should our happy home rituals be? All of the above! No seriously, there are lots more and I thought I would share them here today.
- Cooking and baking always gets to the soul of being at home for me. Hearty soup is the most amazing fuel for the soul. A bowl of soup with crusty rolls, warm toast, or croutons is a thing of magic. Soup is a lovely thing to make whatever the season and from miso to lentil stew with dumplings, there are loads of soulful soup ideas if you are looking for inspiration.
- Candles – candles provide light, warmth, hope and great scents to your home. If your favourites have reached the end of the wick, it may be symbolic of the need to replenish your own energy supplies. Invest in some good quality, large candles in gorgeous scents and home will instantly look and feel happier.
- Game night – the family that plays together stays together right? We all know that crashing on the sofa under a blanket and the remote can seem more appealing, but playing a game can really bring warmth and laughter to family life. It doesn’t need to take the whole night, just a bit of playing together can reset the family bond, ready for the next step…
- Film night – when did you last really make an occasion of watching a movie? Prepare the snacks, get out the blankets, light the lamps and candles, get the pjs on, snuggle together under throws, ban phones and really indulge in choosing a film all the family will love.
- Invent a meal ritual – pizza friday was a big hitting our house, made from scratch when we can or ordered in when we don’t have the time or right food in. Then we had hot dog Saturday, which signalled the start of Saturday night at home. It quickly progressed to Saturday burgers and making our own veggie burgers. Recently we’ve had a meal delivery kit service, so three times a week cooking together and dissecting the day has become a real routine.
- Getting up early – it turns out beating everyone else to get up and having the house to yourself is a magic thing. I used to think my Mum was mad for doing it, but I have seen the light. I have loads of ideas for things to make the morning ritual work for you, from yoga to barefoot walking to list making.
- Breakfast Disco – it may be the last thing on your mind, but a bit of dancing around the kitchen is guaranteed to make the day get off to a happier start, plus you’ll be getting some exercise and benefitting from stimulating the parts of your brain only music can reach.
I bet you have loads more, care to share what makes you happier at home?