We may dream of a potting bench and a full size greenhouse, but even the smallest greenhouse can be a garden powerhouse, a brilliant way to extend your gardening seasons and save money growing your own plants from seed. It’s something kids will enjoy and a great way to ensure plants get a great start in life. if you have ever planted out only to have your seeds come to nothing in unseasonal weather conditions, a greenhouse could help keep your spirits and your plants up. It is hard knowing where to start, so here are a few ways to use a mini greenhouse in your garden:
1. Buy lots of smaller plug plants and use the greenhouse to grow them until they are big enough to plant out
2. Grow your own plants from seed, sure to delight little gardeners!
3. In summer you can use them to grow plants that need protection like chillis, tomatoes, aubergines or cucumbers.
4. Have salad leaves much of the year with a mini greenhouse to warm and protect them.
5. Greenhouses help your grown more exotic crops and Wayfair have a great guide to growing your own superfoods that you could use to inspire some extra healthy crops! Head over for lots more tips and advice from expert gardeners.
6. Take cuttings to prepare plants for the next year, like Geraniums.
7. Get ahead and over-winter plants like peas, by planting them in the greenhouse in Autumn, ready to plant out early Spring.
There are lots more, and I would love to hear your ideas in the comments, you could win a mini greenhouse.
Things to consider when choosing a site for your greenhouse:
Avoid placing the greenhouse where it will be shaded by plants, walls or the house.
If you site it on soil, you can grow directly into it.
Plastic structures will need to be tied down and placed where they can’t blow away in high winds, you don’t want to loose all your hard work!
If you are looking for mini greenhouses, cold frames or larger greenhouses, Wayfair have a wide selection here.
Today I have this gorgeous Kingfisher at Wayfair mini greenhouse on wheels to giveaway (wellies, plants and watering can for illustration only) . It is a great way to experiment and find out if greenhouse gardening works for you.
- 3 Tier
- Roll up front door panel with zip fasteners
- 132 cm H x 70 cm W x 51 cm D, 3.8 kgs
- On wheels
How to Enter
- 1. Leave a comment letting me know what you would like to try to grow in a greenhouse.
2. Fill in the rafflecopter to unlock extra entries!
T&Cs There is one prize of a Mini Greenhouse from Wayfair.co.uk, as specified in the blog post. The prize is non-transferable and no cash alternative is offered.
Open to UK residents aged 18 and over, excluding employees and relatives of Wayfair and A Residence.
Closing date for entries is 30/04/2016 12 AM
One entry per person
Entrants must log into rafflecopter and comment on the blog.
Optional entry methods are to follow on Twitter, Facebook and tweet on Twitter.
The winner will be chosen at random from all valid entries
The winner will be informed within one week of the closing date and will need to respond with a postal address within 14 days or a new winner will be chosen
The winner’s name will be available on request
This is a joint promotion between Wayfair and A Residence.
Entry to this confirms that participants have read, understood and agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions.